Website Ithaca College
A new part-time SOUS CHEF employment is available in Ithaca, NY 14850. Highly motivated candidates with excellent communication skills are encouraged to apply. New opportunities are offered by Ithaca College.
Job: SOUS CHEF
Company: Ithaca College
Location: Ithaca, NY 14850
Auxiliary Services Parent Org
Finance and Administration Division
Anticipated start date
If temporary, expected end date
Hours per week
Weeks Per Year
Normal Start Time
Normal End Time
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting in the oversight of the culinary operation and staff of their unit. This position will work with the culinary leadership team to develop recipes and menus for the various stations in their unit including special offerings and events. The Sous Chef will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods and will assist in the training of other staff to do the same. The Sous Chef is responsible for cooking and preparing food according to recipes and production guidelines while adhering to food safety, food handling and sanitation procedures.
1. Responsible for assisting in all day-to-day aspects of the culinary operation for their unit in consultation with the Lead Sous Chef, the Executive Chef and Manager.
2. Responsible for assisting in the supervision, training, scheduling and evaluation of the culinary staff in their unit under the supervision of the Lead Sous Chef, the Executive Chef and Manager.
3. Meet with students, faculty, staff and guests to solicit feedback and address concerns related to their unit.
4. Assist with unit inventory, and requisitioning of product, supplies and equipment.
5. Collaborate with all members of the Dining Services Leadership team related to their specific areas of responsibility to include training, quality assurance, marketing, menu management, etc.
6. Research, create, input and present recipies and menues for their unit.
7. Responsible for learning and adhereing to all food preparation guidelines as established by the culinary leadership team for Ithaca College Dining Services.
8. Prepare food independantly in accordance with current applicable federal, state and cultural standards, as well as guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided.
9. Ensure that the the unit and each individual workstation is set up for every meal with all needed ingredients and equipment.
10. Safely utilize and operate a variety of utensils including knives & equipment such as ovens, stoves, slicers, mixers, etc.
11. Clean and sanitize all work stations and equipment and follow all Ithaca College and other relevent regulatory rules and procedures.
12. Attend all required training sessions including allergy, foodborne illness, and safety training.
13. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful Ithaca College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
Previous experience in a culinary team in a college/university dining hall, a resturant or other relevent establishment is required. In-depth working knowledge of food preparation procedures and equipment is required. Ability to adhere to food preparation and service standards as set by Ithaca College Dining Services staff is required. Ability to read and follow written and electronic recipes while unsupervised is required. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service while working effectively and respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment is required. The Sous Chef will be required to obtain food safety certification upon hire.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one):
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range
Is this position eligible for benefits?
To apply for this job please visit ithaca.peopleadmin.com.